The colors of Sicily



A small city of Salso's Valley, on the right side of the river, near the Southern foot of the Mount Gibbesi (450 meters). It is a compact conurbation, with close houses, situated on the highest part of the Acqua Nuova torrent (an affluent from the right of the river Salso).
History and arts
Here it was found some archaeological material from the Greek-Sycilian age. The village was found in 1616 by Giacomo Bonanno, Duke of Montalbano (and from the same family, which had the title of Byron until 1713), and remained 'till the first years of the XIX Century.
Excavations conducted after the discover of the ruins of a Greek temple near the Mount Saraceno made appear the urban aspect and some buildings which identify the city Sycilian-Greek of Kakyron: the rests must be of the rebuild of the city after the destruction made by Carthage on the IV Century.
A private collection owns, with paintings, also ceramics coming from the finding near the town.
Other information's
50 Kilometres from Agrigento - 320 mt. over the sea - inhabitants (Ravanusans).
Patron Saint S. Vito (15 June). 


Agricultural centre of the North-West side of the Volcano Etna, in a zone with high valleys and lava terrain. The town is included in the railroad way CircumEtnea and the national road of Etna and the Madonie.
The village is named for the first time in a text of Ruggero II in the year 1145.
Possession of Nicolò, of Lauria and then of Anastasia Filangeri (1320), during the Reign of Martino (1392) Linguaglossa was made a feud by the family Crisafi.
At 1568 Isabella Crisafi gave Linguaglossa to Stefano Cottone who gave it to Patti's family near the end of the XVI century.
In 1606 the obtained it from a Bonanno's and Orazio's sale Orazio, lord of Ravanusa, who wanted it to be a principality in 1625.
Then the village passed to the hands of the State property.
The Arts
The centre, with his great monuments of the baroque , still holds some testimony of the precedent Centuries, as the gothic elements of the Church Anime Sante, put then into the baroque church of S. Francesco. The main church is S. Maria delle Grazie, made in a clear baroque structure, with a great facade, was restored deeply after the damages of the II World War, and holds the beautiful baroque's altars.
Other information's
47 Kilometres from Catania - 550 meters over the sea - Inhabitants (linguaglossesi).
Saint Patron is S. Egidio (1 September).   And the town is a holiday centre.


A small town of the Lower Valley of the Salso river. It appears over flat relief's on the right side of the 
river, and with a favorite flat morphology, has a chessboard structure really regular.
History and Arts
Under the Reign of Federico II of Aragona the territory was own by Simone de Matteo, and then it passed in 1408 to Sancio Dexeo.
In 1430 the Feud was give to Marino de Matina, which descendants hold until the first half of the XVII Century.  From 1681 and 1684 Raimondo and Giovanni Sammartino, who had the Feud by succession, founded Campobello di Licata.
Then the village remained to the family Sammartino for all the XVIII Century.
The main 800's Church of S. Giovanni Battista è : has an armonical facade. Other buildings of 700 and 800, with beautiful balconies, rich portals and elegant courts, made rich all the town's architecture.
Other information's
51 Kilometres from Agrigento - 316 meters over the sea - inhabitants (campobellesi).
The Saint Patron day is celebrated on the first Sunday of September (Madonna dell'Aiuto).


Agricultural centre of the Southern Peloritani. On the group of the Montagna Grande, on the Northern stratum of the mount Galfa (1000 metres).
The houses are sited over a cliff of the right side of the river Agrò.
It is ignored the date of its foundation, but many studies let think that it already existed at Federico II's epoch.
Possession of many local lords, the village was, by Giovanni, brother of Alfonso d'Aragona, decision, passed in 1415 to Niccolò Balsamo. It then arrived into the hands of the Crisafi family, trough Nicolò Crisafi, Conte di Terranova  (Minutolo, Memories of the Gran Priorato of Messina, sheet 87), then Tommaso Girofalco, which took back lands and villages and obtained  the nomination of byron Lìmina in 1453.
Anyhow in 1499 it is noted how the Limina: Marchese Pietro Balsamo was the owner.
Then the village passed to Giacomo Bonanno Grisafi in 1661.
Other information's
51 Kilometres from Messina - 552 meters over the sea - inhabitants (liminesi).
Patron Saint celebration 12 May (S. Filippo). 

A.  Grifasi  '96
Tricele dei Grifasi - (immagine riservata)
Back to main page

Site colours design by Grifasi Studio ® ~ Milano ~ Italy

This page was last updated on October 22, 1996
- Any form of whole or partial reproduction, of texts, photos, illustrations or sounds is generally not permitted, with the exception of any with an expressed permission -