|The Sicilian Islands|
The Island of Ustica is found at 67 km to the North-North West of Palermo.
It has a geological structure similar to the Aeolian ones, is of elliptic shape and extends for 8.6 kmq.
It is occupied from some fertile shelves (yields, grain, grape, capers) which are opened between lave, cliffs and vulcan's tops in the greater tip of the mount Guardia di Mezzo (m.244).
The village Ustica situated besides a wonderful water mirror of the Cala of S. Maria, whose bottom, of black volcanic sand, introduces extraordinary colorations.
Along its coasts numerous coves are opened; beauties are, the cove of the Water, from the magnificent emerald colorations, with the incrostate walls of shells and the full ceiling of stalagmiti, and that one of the Columns, from the huge full time of stalatiti.
Inside the island there is the Fortress of Falconara Head, constructed in XVII century in order to defend Ustica from onslaught of the Saraceni.
They are situated far the South West coast of the Sicily and comprise the Islands of Lampedusa Linosa and the deserted isolotto
Distant from the Sicilian coast 205 km (150 from the island of Malta and 114 from Tunisia),
it has superficial ones of 20.2 kmq, and the higher point is the mount Tree of the Sun (m.133).
Its land limestone, lacking in water sources, has insufficient coltivations of cereals, legumi, and vineyards.
Its cliffs are nearly copletamente full of rocks and full of coves, that are attended from the common seal.
The center inhabited Lampedusa, with its port, and situated in one deep gulf.
From the country it can be gone to the Maluk cove, to the Maccaferri tip and one series of coves.
Lopadusa for the Roman, already lived in the age of the bronze, remained then to along deserted until 1843, when Ferdinand II of Borbone established a population of 700 inhabitants.
The ancient Algusa or Aethusa is distant from the Sicilian coast 161 km, 114 from Pantelleria, and 42 from Lampedusa.
It has superficial ones of 5.5 kmq, is of volcanic origin, emerged perhaps in the ancient fourth period, its higher point is the mount Volcano 195 m. It was colonized in 1845 from Ferdinand II of Borbone.
The island of Pantelleria is the biggest of the islands situated around Sicily, distant from the Sicilian's coasts 110 km, and only 70 km from the Tunisian's ones. Its surface is of 83 kmq, and the taller point is the top of the Big Mountain 836 m.
All the island is of volcanic origin, she is what is remained of a big volcanic crater, and surrounded from other 24 submarine craters, said Cuddie, the last eruption happened in sea in the 1891 to around 5 km from the coast.
Like all the grounds of volcanic origin (Etna, Vesuvius, Stromboli, Volcano), also here grows the vineyards that cause grapes from table and all a series of great wines, between which the famous "Moscato of Pantelleria."
The island, that the Greek called Cossyra, was colonized from the Carbolic, conquered from the Cartaginesi, it had removed to them from the Romans in the 217 b.C. taking from the Arabs in the '700, it came freed from Roger the Normanno and followed the fates in succession from Sicily.
The town of Pantelleria rises together with the ancient Barbacane Castle, around the harbor.
The rests of the village strengthened neolitic of Mùrsia, and the unusual monuments funeral called megalitici are really interesting.
Sesi, that have a dome form and that remember the nuraghi from Sardinia.
The ancient Aegates, situated beside the western coast of Sicily in front of Trapani, they ugroup the islands of Favignana, Marèttimo, Lèvanzo and islets of Formica and Maraone.
the island is far from the coast of Trapani 17 km.
Interesting the turn of the island for admire the numerous caves.
Pizzo del Monaco 278 m. The greater attractions of the island are: the numerous caves, some of are also prehistoric, the most famous is the
cave of the Genovese, and the rich fauna harbor.
The Eòlie islands or Lìpari, they emerge from the deep waters of the Tirreno sea.
The islands, were in ancient times the volcanos that emerged from the waters, they constituted a chain of flaming craters.
Today, only Stromboli and Vulcano are still active, while Lìpari and Panarea manifest only phenomenon of fumarole and rising thermal.
The archipelago is fully grown from 7 islands, nearest to the Sicilian coast is Vulcano, from the inlets suggestive and from the characteristics beaches of black sand. The biggest is Lìpari. Salina pan from the beautiful verdant valleys.
Panarèa, with the characteristics islets that do it as crown. Stromboli, with his active crater. Alicudi and Filicudi, from the typical caves and from the picturesque beaches.
As a whole, they constitute a tourist zone of unusual interest, for the marvelous natural scenery of earth and of sea, the Eòlie for theirclimate, typically maritime and mild, and they are lent to a stay for all the arc of the year.
The islands were already inhabited in the period neolitico.
In the first Punic war, they were conquered from the Romans, from which they became the place of exiles.
They returned in bloom under the Normanni.
In the 1544 were conquered from the Turkish fleet, ransacked and set afire, and his inhabitants taken away like enslaved.
Then they followed the historical circumstances subsequently from Sicily.
It is the most southern of the Eòlie, having a 21 kmq surface., the taller point is Gran crater of Vulcano, 386 m., to the feet of which it
rises the thermal source of the Water of the Bath.
Lìpari, the biggest and the most populated of the Eòlie, it is divided from Vulcano by a narrow wide less of 1 km.
The legend narrates that S.Bartolo, Patron Saint of Lìpari separated it from Volcano due to his eruptions and earthquakes.
It is the taller island of the archipelago and the second one for greatness.
Far away from its mountains seem two twin cones.
Its surface is of 27 kmq.
It is the richer island in vegetation.
There they grow the ulivo, the almond tree, the grapevine, the caper and the Hibiscus Siriacus, typical flower of the Southern Italy, very rare.
Its surface is of 3.5 kmq.
It has a 12,6 kmq. surface, it is the most famous of the islands of the arcipelago due to his volcano already active.
Its surface is of 5.2 kmq., it has a conic form, it has sheds cottages on the ledges between the sea and the mountain.
It is famous for the scoglio La Canna, that emerges from the sea like a top rock of rock exploding from the submarine depth.
It has a surface of of 9.5 kmq., and together to Alicudi it is the smallest islands of the archipelago.
The island is famous for the Cave of the Sea Ox, where the sea penetrating to his inside seems to low.
||Back to main page|
Site colours design by Grifasi Studio ® - Milano - Italy
This page is on-line since: January 04, 1998
Le notizie, le ricerche e la traduzione contenuta in questa pagina sono frutto intellettuale degli autori
- E' vietata la riproduzione di qualsiasi tipo di informazione e della traduzione contenuta in questa pagina, senza segnalarne la provenienza -